This has been all over the blogosphere in the last week. It is such a big issue though, I thought it appropriate to share. Don’t let this happen to you!
From The Writer’s Guide to E-publishing
…Bloggers can be sued for using photos on their blog that aren’t their own. Does that sound far-fetched? It isn’t. The very reason Roni (Loren) blogged about it was because it happened to her. Like many of us, she found an image on the web, used it with her post, and went on her merry way.
Until the copyright owner of the photo approached her, demanding a sum of money for her use of the photo. Enter lawyers, money, and a very nasty situation — all because of one photo.
Like Roni, I assumed I was okay using web images under Fair Use. But as she points out in her post, even if you attribute the photo, link to the source, and post a disclaimer (among other things), you are not protected unless you have got ‘express PERMISSION from the copyright holder OR are using pics that are public domain, creative commons, etc’ (quote from Roni).
Read the rest at Blogger Beware.
- Bloggers Beware (cowpasturechronicles.wordpress.com)
- Blogger Beware: You CAN Get Sued For Using Photos You Don’t Own on Your Blog (blogher.com)
- Blogging Authors Beware! You Can Get Sued. Roni Loren Guest Blogs (pubrants.blogspot.com)
- Bloggers Beware (carrpartyoffive.wordpress.com)
- Bloggers Beware, You CAN Get SUED For Using Pics On Your Blog via Roni Loren (kaitnolan.com)
- COPYRIGHT What you need to Know: Bloggers Beware: You CAN Get Sued For Using Pics on Your Blog – My Story – Blog – Roni Loren, Romance Author (harshmellowblue.wordpress.com)
- Blog photos – Are you sure that’s legal? (davefarmersblog.wordpress.com)